Thursday, January 27, 2011

Life-Fulfillment: A Soldier’s Gratitude and Grace


Part One of Two
I don’t normally have a hostile reaction to things I see. I tend to be someone who shelters herself from things that are assaultive to my spirit, whether that means removing myself from personal situations or changing the channel on the radio or television. I also tend not to be judgmental, and am very accepting of people’s different ways and situations, even if they are not for me.
But once in a while I see something, and it just ticks me off because it flies in the face of gratefulness and human grace. Or so I think.
I live in a beautiful rural area of Massachusetts. You can’t build here unless you have two acres…so houses are spread out and the land and forestry are lush and full of life. Deer dance across the lawn, prancing over the snow in the winter. Birds of every color dine at the bird feeders and flitter past my windows. And the area is dotted with high white fences that outline the many horse farms. It is beyond lovely.
Last year, a parcel of land went to an American veteran who had lost his legs in Iraq. Week after week in our local paper, reports were poured out about all the local contractors, installers, painters, landscapers, electricians, plumbers, and civilians who were involved in building the soldier’s new home. Month after month I drove past the site, two or three times daily, as I went to and from dropping my daughter at school or running to the store.
Finally, after about 10 months, the house was finished. A big article appeared in the local paper and all the crew and the new homeowner were featured in a happy picture.
I thought it was great. This man had given so much for us. He had made such a sacrifice on our behalf. It was the least we could do as a town and state to make sure he lived the rest of his life in a beautiful home, custom-built just for him. I understand if given the choice of his legs or a house, he’d have chosen to have his legs. I know it does not compensate, but as a community and small town, we made such a statement of unity and support for this soldier. We didn’t send him to war, but we were doing everything we could here now that he was home.
A few months ago, I was driving by and I noticed a sign at the end of his driveway. I squinted to read it.
“If you can read this, you’re in range.”
CONTINUED in two hours…
Here’s to your TRUE success!
Kathleen
Kathleen Aston International
Founder & Life-Fulfillment Strategist

For more information on your complimentary 30-minute coaching appointment, please call 888.447.1191. 

No comments:

Post a Comment